Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The reason I keep up my subscription to Ancestry

They're arrogant and obnoxious, but they have stuff you just can't find anywhere else.

After my story about Charles Boston yesterday, I decided to just for the heck of it have Family Tree Maker do a search for him, and gosh darn golly if he didn't show up in the new Passport Application database!! With a picture, no less!!

In one swell foop, I discovered that yes, the older man pictured yesterday is indeed Charles Boston, and the woman in the picture with him (not included in the blog) was indeed his wife, Mary Scott, a native of Galveston, Texas. I discovered his middle name was Edgar, that he'd actually been born in 1871 (not 1872), and that he'd been living and working in Mexico between about 1909 and 1917 as an electrician for a British-owned mining company. In 1917 he was living in El Oro, Mexico.

I still don't know when or where he died, but I consider this brick wall to have been blown to smithereens, thanks to Ancestry. It drives me crazy, but--I'd never ever have found any of this out on my own.

0 comments: